Friday, January 23, 2009

A word from the editor...


When Sonal Balasuriya told a colleague he was going on a birding trip to the Kaudulla

national park for 3days, he was met with, ‘You’ve already birded Minneriya, there can’t be

any lifers for you’. ‘True enough,’ he responded, ‘but there is more to life than lifers …’
This resonated with me as I often feel that there is too much emphasis in birding circles on

being able to tick a new species and not enough on just revelling in the pleasure of being

surrounded by birds, their antics and sounds, even if they are ones seen a hundred times

before. But then I have no ambition to tick every species on the planet. Don’t get me wrong:

I am as excited as the next person when I catch a glimpse of a bird I have never seen

before. And, yes, there are some birds that I would build an entire holiday around if there

were a chance of seeing them for the first, and possibly only, time.
Photograph: Ceylon Paradise Flycatcher (Kaudullu National Park)

No comments:

Post a Comment